Friday, March 18, 2011

Internet Down

Recently moved to a corporate apartment and still don’t have internet set up. Trained from 5:30-7p last night and wanted to post. This shorter write-up will have to suffice. Enjoyed the inverted guard drills. Techniques = Stack pass, stack pass to guard recovery defense, and triangle if stack passer gets sloppy. Rolled with a Blue, Green, and White.

Blue destroyed me like I haven’t been destroyed in a long time. Kimura, couple arm bars, likely other subs. Had a terrible time in his guard. Posture all busted up. Glad to hear he got a stripe the night before because he’s leaps and bounds better than me. Have a fat lip and red marks on my face. Lovely.

Green Belt roll was fun. She’s new to our academy and has been training a couple years. Not afraid to mix it up with the boys. Worked x-guard set ups, a few sweeps, and some back attack work. Some catch and release. Kept the flow going and kept the heart and breathing rate up. After the roll she asked how it felt and if she was keeping tight. Roll felt good and she was keeping her arms in well and not leaving too much space. I advised her to make it harder to secure spider or pistol grips. Suggested she focus a bit more on grip fighting because I basically had free reign to take whatever grips I wanted. She seemed to appreciate the feedback.

The White is pretty new. She showed up a few weeks ago and seems to have some martial arts background. Notice she attended the women’s class on Monday. Started in her guard. She has long legs and kept the guard closed…tight. I didn’t want to dig my elbows in (try to avoid that in general) and didn’t want to force my way out so I cupped a sleeve and stood up. She asked me to stop and explain what she should do from there. Said guys keep doing that to her. My theory is they do that because her closed guard is so tight the guys stand up so they don’t hurt her. Showed her a classic sweep and she seemed pleased to know there is something she can try when it happens again. Later I passed to side control and she instinctively rolled out and gave up her back. Said she hates side control. Suggested she fight that instinct and instead turn in, shrimp, and connect knee to elbow. She knows the shrimp drills, but probably hadn’t realized the practical application. Enjoy working with new folks who are genuinely interested in learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment