Monday, April 4, 2011

Squish Slosh

That's the sound my neck makes when I move it these days. Thankfully not causing problems (yet), but hearing sounds and feeling the squish is unsettling...to say the least.

5:15-5:35p: Stretched.

5:35-6:20p: Private w/ Professor Matthias. Went over the sweep to triangle from the lasso via stack pass bait featured in this month's Gracie Mag. Although we had some trouble executing as shown in the pic (a step is clearly missing), we adapted and came up with something that felt comfortable for both of us. Executing clearly requires your opponent to be committed to the stack. Worked guard passes the rest of the time. Lots of review, but I learned a de la riva pass that should help me get out of a few sticky situations.

Rolled lightly for a few minutes to end the session. The only thing worth writing about is a sweep that Saulo calls a "Rollout Against Underhook Defense" (Technique 16-3 in Jiu Jitsu University). Professor attempted a standing guard break. He stepped forward and held my lapels to prevent an underhook sweep. I timed release of my guard and rolled out. Got the sweep...eventually. Steps 5&6 didn't go as smoothly as shown in the book. I didn't have full control of the foot and Professor began to step out of my rollout underhook. Had to stand up with his foot and fish the sweep while standing as opposed to kneeling in turtle. Never before did I have an opportunity to attempt this sweep. Never drilled it. Just saw it in the book and on the Revolution 1 DVDs a dozen or so times. My opponents either don't attempt standing guard passes or they succumb to the Classic Underhook Sweep (Technique 16-2). The rollout is only an option if your opponent steps into you to prevent the classic underhook sweep. I've never had a training partner step forward like that during a standing break/pass. Now I know it works. Just need to work on controlling the foot during the rollout.

6:20-6:30p: Stretched and chatted with friends before class.

6:30-6:45p: Warm-up / standard drills. More abs than usual. About 300 reps. I tried to finish the core set with the Gynastica Natural solo drill in this month's edition of Gracie Mag. I'd never tried it before and clearly attempted to do the move too quickly.

6:45-7:05p: Drilled standing grip breaks and take down set ups, a judo hip throw (not good with the judo names), and open guard passes with limited hand use. The top guy got to use one hand. The bottom gal had both hands in belt. Interesting. Didn't do as well as I thought I would. The two-three week white belt ended up passing a couple times and got mount once. I couldn't do nearly as well against him.

7:05-7:30p: Technique. Standing guard break from busted posture. Hands in arm pits. Pop up. Move one knee around and insert into butt crack. Work hands up pants until guard breaks. Then baited stack pass to step through and knee on belly. Finished with a kimura after switching to north-south when opponent pushes on knee. Last technique was a pass to arm bar from double spider guard. Hip in, reach under and secure opposite pant leg, grip a sleeve, then posture up and step back slightly while "unwinding" your opponent. Should end up in position for the arm bar.

7:30-8p: Rolls. 6 minutes rounds. Got a Blue, Green, and Black. Roll with Blue was good. Recall losing a good north-south back position to a strong single leg from opponent's turtle. Only highlight from guard was a dive through from half guard to take the back. Roll with Green was good too. I started off with a relatively easy pass to side to north south to technical mount to arm bar set up. She escaped the arm bar and I was in a bad spot. She solidified side control and I struggled. Couldn't escape. Fought for an underhook. Denied. Tried a normal bridge to guard recovery. Too tight. Bailed to turtle and exposed the back. I don't think she got both hooks, but I was on defensive. Eventually rolled back to open guard. Final roll with Professor was good (enough). I think it was the first time he rolled to finish. Caught me in what felt like a clock choke variation while I was in turtle. Also caught me in an arm bar. Had some tingly fingers during this roll. First time with tingles in a few weeks. Bleh.

2 comments:

  1. I know we were wondering if that ab exercise is supposed to be done slower, but I read in the Gracie mag to do it as quickly as you can. It was tough indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey...what happened to your title being "dick to the ground"?

    ReplyDelete