Thursday, February 24, 2011

When in Doubt Improvise

5:20-5:30p: Arrived early enough to stretch a little. Nice.

5:30-5:50p: Warm up and drills. Did "6 minute abs." Guess that means we did abs for six minutes straight. Felt like forever. Likely 300-400 reps. Also 60 push ups. Well...others did 60 push ups. I did about half that from knees. Did my best.

5:50-6p: Pummeling drills. Got a new White Belt. Know how to pummel, but not well enough teach a newbie. Professor saved the day.

6-6:10p: Judo Ouchi Gari and ankle pick option if opponent employs typical Ouchi Gari defense.

6:10-6:20p: Arm bar drills from mount. 20 ea.

6:20-6:35p: Technique. Mount to key lock (Americana) with straight arm lock and kimura options. Kimura option involved a front roll to finish. Not really a big guy jiu jitsu move.

6:35-7p: Rolls. 6 minute rounds. Got picked by a Brown and two Purples. Got worked over most of the time. Swept a lot. Guard passed at will. Lots of turtle and back survival. Tapped twice (both arm locks). Had a nice improvised sweep. Surprised me. Had some nice hooks and a good grip...then recognized the opportunity to leverage for the reversal when he tried to pass. Couple other sloppy/forced sweeps. A few really solid arm bar escapes. Saulo's trusty escape continues to pay dividends. Took mount on a Purple from back position, but I started with his back so he could work escapes and managed to transition to mount during one of his escape attempts. Mount didn't last long at all. Next thing I know he's setting up an arm bar from back/side. But he knows I like the Saulo escape so he was extremely tight and didn't give me the space I needed to defend. Tried to change to another escape...to no avail. Exhausting but had a great time tonight. A bit unsettling when a roll with a smaller Brown leaves me utterly gassed but leaves him calm as can be. I have soooo much to learn. Love it.

1 comment:

  1. I rolled with the same brown on my last roll. I felt the same way. I told him I can't wait till the day I can be as calm as him and just flip people around at will.

    ReplyDelete